Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 2-year-old male, long-haired, orange tabby's pupils stay

Customer Question

My 2-year-old male, long-haired, orange tabby's pupils stay fully dilated most of the time. Is this a symptom of partial blindness? He seems not to be able to see very well.
Thanks,
***** *****
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Generally there are three common problems that cause this. The first is that for some reason his retinas detached this can be due to 1) a blindness he was born with or after a sharp blow to the head at some point or 2) due to very high uncontrolled blood pressure. 3) Another possibility is that his iris (the colored part of the eye) is stuck to the lens itself. If he is not shying away from the bright light then very likely he is completely blind. I would suggest he see his vet to have his blood pressure tested which can be controlled by medication and may help improve his sight. If his blood pressure is normal then the last hope is to have him looked at by a vet who is a specialist in eyes, that would be the last hope to restore his sight but often there is very little we can do. The good news is that blind animals do REALLY well and can live very happy lives.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan