Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My female cat's eyes are changing in color. Around the pupil

Customer Question

My female cat's eyes are changing in color. Around the pupil is a gold color mottling..I think . She was a stray's kitten. She has Epilepsy and Herpes Virus. Medications are: Veri Llllysine Plus for Herpes Virus and Liquid Zonisamide 1.25ML every 24 hrs..
Is her sight diminishing? She is 3 years. Inside cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for the question. This change in iris color is actually not all that uncommon in cats with chronic viral infections. Herpes is the most common of these viruses. They can lead to chronic URI's (upper respiratory infections). This causes chronic, intermittent inflammation in the eye. The inflammation is what leads to pigmentation. It's not too uncommon for these cats to have a mottled looking iris or black spots on the iris. If it's just one eye and one spot, then I may consider Melanoma, a type of cancer. When it's a mottled look or when the whole iris seems to be darkening in both eyes, then it's usually from the chronic inflammation in the eye. There's not really anything we need to do in these cats. It doesn't affect vision, either. It just looks different. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.