Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have two Manx cats who are approximately one year old. Recently,

Customer Question

I have two Manx cats who are approximately one year old. Recently, one of them has begun to have problems with his stool. I noticed a few days ago that the he had feces matted in his fur around his anus. I cleaned this up and his back end looked extremely sore and red and larger than usual. The following day, he had the same problem again, but this time it was still fresh and easier to clean up, but he still looks extremely sore and red. He does not appear to be suffering, his mood is good and he is eating and very social, but I am concerned about him. Is there anything that you could suggest? I would not want this to become an ongoing problem. I do know that this can become a problem with Manx cats because of their lack of tail which can help "protect" the area. Thank you for any guidance you can offer.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is he strictly indoors? 2- Is he licking the area? 3- Is the stool loose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is almost always indoors. Usually on Saturday or Sunday mornings, we let them out for about an hour, but keep a close eye on them. Other than that, we have an enclosed stroller that we take them out in (that one officially earned me the "cat lady" nickname with my friends).He does lick the area, but there was way to much feces for him to manage without me cleaning it up.The stool is soft, but not "loose".
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I am sorry but I am not currently set up to do a live phone call. If you wish we can continue on this format or I can opt out so another expert can help you who is set up for a live phone call. Please let me know what you would like to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let's continue in this format.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Fair enough, give me a few minutes while I type an answer for you. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the irritation that you are seeing is very common when the feces is caught with the hair in the perineum region. The best option to prevent this is having your groomer trim the hair around the anal sphincter. This is what you can do: 1- Have groomer trim hair around anal sphincter. Do not let him lick the area or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area. Do Not let him go outside with the ecollar on. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. 3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical cortisone cream. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy cortisone cream over the counter in any pharmacy.4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I the cortisone cream safe for him?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me what is causing the feces to stick to him and why this only started a few days ago?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
If you are seeing the feces getting caught in the hair then the hair in this region is too long; that is the most probable cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a short haired cat and this only started a few days ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone still there? I am trying to establish why this just started.