Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

We are on a budget. Do I have to take my cat into the vet

Customer Question

we are on a budget. Do I have to take my cat into the vet for a broken leg or can we splint it at home?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. How old is your cat? Does your cat go outside? How do you know it is broken? Which leg is it, and is it the lower or upper part of the leg? Can you attach a photo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 years. Right front
Tender to touch. Cries when touch it. Limping bit walking. Swollen
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Does the cat go outside?
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
If this cat goes outside, this is a bite wound abscess until proven otherwise. I would see your vet to get the cat on some antibiotics as soon as possible before this gets worse. It is much less likely that this is a fracture, even if you can't see any bite wounds. This is extremely common. It should not be a very expensive appointment to get the antibiotics, but your cat will need heavy-duty ones because cat bites are bad (cats are most likely fighting with each other, not other animals). I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.