Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My 13 yr old house cat has suddenly gone blind in her left

Customer Question

my 13 yr old house cat has suddenly gone blind in her left eye. I wiped the small amount of ooze from it for 2 weeks then it cleared up and he had a clear eye again. One week later the right eye went black from blood in the background like the left had done before and a short time later the left eye again did the same so now my cat is blind in both .
He doesn't appear to be in pain and allows me to clean his eyes, he eats, sleeps with his
cat partner and gets around well. Please advise me.
Robyn
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robyn,There are several possible explanations for this, but the most likely are: acute retinal detachment and glaucoma. Retinal detachment is a condition which involves separation of the retina from the back of the eye which is usually caused by high blood pressure (so there is another disease present usually, such as hyperthyroidism, heart disease or kidney disease). Glaucoma involves increased pressure within the eyes and can affect both or one eye; this condition is typically painful, but cats are very good at hiding signs of pain and most still behave relatively normally.Because different causes of blindness carry different prognoses and require different treatments (some can be treated easily, some can't), it's important to figure out which this is. I would recommend seeing your vet within next 1-2 days and deciding how to proceed once they figure out what's going on. In some cases, there is nothing you can (or should) do and it would just take time for her to adjust to blindness; in others, treatment must be instituted to save whatever eye sight might be left or to alleviate pain; alternatively, as is the case with retinal detachment, the blindness is just a sign of another perhaps more serious disease and needs to be addressed.Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robyn,
I wanted to check in to see how things were going and if you had any other questions come up!