Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My cat has previously had a urinary track infection and crystals

Customer Question

My cat has previously had a urinary track infection and crystals in his urine. He has completed treatment and had a food change. Tonight he scooted across the floor just like he had done before I took him to the vet last time. Is there any analgesic like an AZO type med but in cat form so he's not in pain until he goes to the vet in the morning?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Sorry to hear about your kitty. There is literally no over the counter pain medication you can safely and effectively use in a cat.... Phenazopyridine (AZO) is a dye that soothes the lining of the urinary tract and reduces pain in people with bladder inflammation; in cats, phenazopyridine is converted to acetaminophen (Tylenol) in the body, which is extremely toxic and can be fatal... Since you're going tomorrow, I would just wait until then to give him something effective/safe, if necessary....Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I wanted to check in with you and see how things were going. Have you had any new questions come up?