Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Neighbor hood cat is in labor had been hours has

Customer Question

Neighbor hood cat is in labor had been for three hours has purple sack hanging out
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear that this poor little one is having a difficult labor.Unfortunately I believe what you are seeing are fetal membranes.Once these are seen a kittten should be delivered very quickly, usually within 15 minutes but definitely within half an hour.Given that no progress is occurring I am very concerned about her as well as the health of her litter.I highly recommend she be seen by a veterinarian now on an emergency basis.It is possible that she has a large or malpositioned kitten stuck in her birth canal.It is also possible that she just needs an oxytocin injection or calcium because of uterine stasis.Whatever is causing her dystocia (difficult delivery) this is not something to be treated at home.The longer you wait the higher the chance that she or her kittens may not make it through this.If you don't know of an emergency clinic in your area here is a link to help you find one:http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193And here is another link, just make sure to check the box that says this is an emergency: http://www.myveterinarian.com/avma/vclPublic/# ***** understand that she is not necessarily your cat. Some emergency clinics will take animals in that are in an emergency situation for treatment if the person bringing them in agrees to sign the animal over to the emergency clinic.Do you have any further questions for me?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara