Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is sick , when she try's to walk it's like she drunk

Customer Question

My cat is sick , when she try's to walk it's like she drunk or something , she was not like this this morning don,t have money to take her to a doctor right now. Please help
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It sounds as if Smokie is ataxic ("drunken sailor"). There are quite a few causes of such behavior. He may have ingested a recreational or prescription drug. He may have been treated with a toxic insecticide. He may be demonstrating the symptoms of the idiopathic vestibular (balance) syndrome in cats. He may be overall weak due to too many disorders to mention in this venue. He may be profoundly anemic which would also result in overall weakness. His heart may be beating irregularly (an arrhythmia). As you can see, without my physically examining Smokie and that exam may include diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well as imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound, I'm necessarily constrained to tell you what might be done for Smokie. Please check his gums and tongue for me. They should be nicely pink - not whitish which would indicate anemia. Please check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths per minute.