Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My c at is 15 years old this fall and she is having trouble

Customer Question

My c at is 15 years old this fall and she is having trouble jumping up to get on a chair or a cabinet. She just goes up and down, up and down in trying to jump. We end up having to pick her up the put her on the chair. She seems fine in moving but has lost so m e weight.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
There's little question that a 15 year old is going to be quite osteoarthritic and so Sammi's reticence to jump is likely to be due to the pain in doing so. I would address this with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such has the prescription meloxicam just as we might take an over the counter NSAID such as ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin. Only aspirin (NOT ACETAMINOPHEN, IBUPROFEN, OR NAPROXEN) dosed at 10 mg/lb every 72 hours (every 3 days) is safe for Sammi and is helpful in a pinch until a more potent NSAID can be prescribed by her vet. Overall weakness needs to be considered as well. She has lost weight which isn't unusual at her age but it might indicate an underlying disorder that needs to be identified and treated. Sammi's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam on Sammi including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests - particularly before prescribing an NSAID. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?