Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

J ust noticed on our 13 year old cat who is diabetic a raised area abo

Customer Question

J ust noticed on our 13 year old cat who is diabetic a raised area above her right eye which has a pinhole and hair is missing from the area. Looks like a boil and we do have another younger cat. Both are inside felines.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
A bite wound abscess is the most likely finding when such a lesion is found. I'll enlarge the opening, flush out the abscess with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine and prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic such as potentiated amoxicillin to be given for a minimum of 5 days. Current might even allow a vet to do that without being sedated. Can you upload a photo of of this "boil" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.