Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I took my 14 yr old cat in sniffles on Wednesday. The

Customer Question

I took my 14 yr old cat in for the sniffles on Wednesday. The vet found a bacterial infection and recommended a rinsing of her ears and then place a paste inside the ears instead of the drops that have been used in the past. Within an half an hour, she was stumbling and shaking. I was told to bring her back in to the vet, where she then told me she has vestibule syndrome. They kept her overnight to observe. I brought her home Thursday and she drank and ate. Most of Friday, she stayed under the bed. I had to coax her out for treats, which she couldn't eat too well. Today she is the same and I cannot coax her with treats or beef cat food, her favorite. What to do next? By the way, this was her first visit to this vet and they were shocked at the circumstances that occurred and have been gracious. I wonder how much longer to wait for her to improve. Please help me.
Denise
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. Ear cleaning in cats, especially older ones, often results in this, I am afraid. Typically, this will resolve slowly over the next month. I would try to put some canned food or chicken or beef baby food or tuna in water under the bed to make sure she eats something and make sure she does not get dehydrated as she slowly adjusts to this feeling of dizziness, and hopefully every day she will slowly get better. If she has not eaten by Monday I would shoo her out from under the bed with a broom and get her in to the vet for hospitalization. So sorry you are dealing with this, and I hope Penny gets over it quickly! I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using the tuna in water was helpful. She has kicked up the tuna water but that's about it. She's eating out of a spoon instead of her bowl, which helped her. Her senses are off so I bring the tuna to her. I guess it's some nausea that stops her or the balance issue. Thank you!! Now if I can get some water in her...
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
The tuna water is good enough! Just keep bringing her more of that. Good luck and feel free to keep me posted, and please remember to rate my service so that I will receive credit for assisting you. Take care, and best of luck!