Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is relatively young, less then 3. Acutely blind than a week now, some impr

Customer Question

My cat is relatively young, less then 3. Acutely blind for more than a week now, some improvement in one eye. Toxoplasmosis came back neg, but vet says it can take 21 days to show up. I get the feeling I'm losing her, though.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me.
I am sorry I was not online last night when you posted your question. I am very sorry to hear about Peanut.
Because she bit you, I want to know: is she is vaccinated for rabies?
Has she been tested for feline leukemia, or FIP?
If she were mine, I would consider seeing a veterinary ophthalmologist or neurologist. I would be testing for FIP, leukemia, fungal, and parasitic diseases. An MRI might be very helpful, but it is an expensive test.
If she is not eating and drinking, I am very concerned about her. She could be dehydrated, and need to be on supplemental fluids, by IV or injected under her skin.
How is she today? Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is vaccinated for rabies. Due in a few days actually for it again, though. Negative for FIV (not sure about FIP?) leukemia. Blood work was done, but I'm not sure what all was ordered. MRI was suggested, as was opthamologist, but expense is unfortunately a problem and I don't have insurance. She did not eat at all (that I can tell) since I brought her home yesterday from boarding at vet (awful timing, I had a work trip I could not cancel, but to be honest she was probably better off there). They said she was eating and drinking and using litter box there, but this morning, the bathroom reeks of urine. I can't find where, but litterbox is clean. She continues to pace obsessively (and weakly) a sort-of perimeter. She looks more frail than ever.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so it's possible that this cat that I do not own SPRAYED the hallway outside her bathroom door. Because it is very strong smelling. He apparently has been getting in through our cat door and helping himself to my cat's food. So I'm not sure. Either way, I see no evidence of Peanut having gone to the bathroom anywhere.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I have seen cats go into home with cat doors and spray urine.
FIP is a disease of young cats and can affect the eyes. Unfortunately, there is no treatment or cure.
If she is not eating or drinking or urinating, she is probably getting dehydrated, and may need fluid therapy.