Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

We have a 13 yr old male cat with diabetes. He is on a low

Customer Question

We have a 13 yr old male cat with diabetes. He is on a low dose of insulin; 2 units twice a day. my daughter gave him his insulin shot late today and without thinking went ahead and gave him his other shot just 4 hours later. I'm concerned that this will drop his level too low. do we need to be concern ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about this accident this evening. I am happy to help you this evening. Unfortunately there is a good chance that this will drop his blood sugar so you do need to be concerned. You should try to give him some honey, karo syrup, or sugar water by mouth every couple of hours. Also feeding him some cat food every couple of hours is recommended. This will help keep his blood sugars up through the night. If he starts to stumble around, become lethargic or seize then you will want to have him seen by an emergency vet. You should not give him another dose of insulin until you speak with your vet tomorrow. So if he does ok through the night with the sugar source and the frequent meals then contact your vet in the morning to see what they recommend doing next with him or they may want to see him to check his sugar just to be sure. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead