petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat head is turnrd sideways and she can hardly walk

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Boots today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
........
When a pet experiences sudden loss of balance and ataxia (weak and uncoordinated walking) along with a head tilt, one of the first things to rule out is vestibular disease. The vestibular system is one that controls the sense of balance and is located in the brain. The vestibular nerve, which exits the brain travels through the inner ear, so an inner ear infection can be one cause of irritation to the nerve and can lead to vestibular symptoms. A brain lesion, like inflammation or even a tumor can also be a cause. There is a condition known as idiopathic vestibular disease in which all of the symptoms show up acutely, but there is no underlying pathology noted. The good news about the latter condition is that it tends to resolve on it's own in usually a week or so. Here is a link with more information about this condition.
LINK HERE - (I know the link refers to the disease in dogs, but it really is the same disease we see in cats):
......
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=564
.......
If it is idiopathic vestibular disease that Boots is dealing with, the treatment is supportive. That may include some form of fluid therapy if she is not eating and drinking well and getting a little dehydrated.There are anti-motion sickness medications that can be prescribed that may offer some relief as well. I would definitely have her evaluated by your veterinarian for this to make sure there is nothing else going on like an ear infection and so that the appropriate medications can be prescribed.
......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I saw your second post after I already sent you my reply. I am not however set up to work with live video consultation.
........
If you would like to proceed with this format, I would be happy to continue to help you. We can reply up and back as needed until all of your questions are answered satisfactorily. If you would prefer to wait for an expert that can proceed with live video chat, please let me know ad I will opt out.