Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat had blood work and full xrays done on Monday because

Customer Question

my cat had blood work and full xrays done on Monday because he was acting like he was having discomfort walking. He is an inside cat. They found everything to be order with the blood work; he was running a 104 temp; the xrays looked good in the spine, hips and front legs and joints. He has been getting worse and can only take about 2 steps and then goes down in the front and slower lowers his back end to about half way down and then just sorts flops down from that point. Is there such a thing as a cat chiropractor? What could be wrong with him. He still eats, drinks and has made it to the litter pan which I have moved to right next to him. He has only had 1 bowel movement since Sun. but has not eaten very much either. He is urinating.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. It doesn't sound like the fever is resolving. That fever can lead to joint pain and the signs of discomfort that you're seeing. The cause of the fever is the question now. It could be infectious, inflammatory, auto-immune, cancer, ect.
I would want to use an oral antibiotic. The injectable Convenia is nice, but I don't think the spectrum is going to be enough here. I would go with something like Clavamox or Baytril or Veraflox or Clindamycin. These all have wider spectrum of activity. I would also use an anti-inflammatory like Onsior or Metacam. Those can help bring the temp down, no matter what the cause is.
Once the temp comes down, he should start improving clinically. If all else fails, I would start a steroid (Prednisolone). This is in case of auto-immune or cancer as the underlying cause.
There are vets trained in chiropractics, but the issue here is not musculoskeletal, it's due to the fever.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been placed on a 3 day prednisone treament and seems y o be having a reaction to it. He Getz very agitated right after I administer it and lays there and growers and flops his tail which is not like him at all
Temp was down Thurs to 103.3 but he still cam barely walk and then only about 4 steps before he calapsez.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shar,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry things don't seem to be improving. I would still want to consider Clindamycin. This could help if it's a difficult type of bacteria or Toxo causing these signs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They started him on the prednisolone and we are starting the 2nd stage of the doses, He is getting around a little better but with much discomfort. He is pursuing his favorite hang-outs and sleeping on the foot of our bed again. He is eating good and has begun to drink again from the water fountain he loves. If, as I decrease the dosage of med, he begins to go backwards Dr. will increase the meds again for a little longer.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
He may need a good month or two on the higher dose to ge this under control. I'm glad you're seeing some improvement, though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
D
vet gave two more weeks of full doses today. Take it 2 weeks at a time. You have been very helpfull.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.You're welcome.