Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

16 year old cat, diabetic with IBD, is not eating well. She's

Customer Question

16 year old cat, diabetic with IBD, is not eating well. She's interested in the food when presented but mostly just licks at it. Struggling to find something. Have done Hills WD and MD
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 16 year old Balinese girl who is not eating very well currently. The combination of both inflammatory bowel disease and diabetes does make it difficult to find a palatable option, plus with her age, she probably isn't able to smell her food as well as she used to.
Thankfully there are a couple of other diets that could be good here, and with Shaw, it is likely going to be a matter of switching things round every now and then, ensuring there is an aroma coming off the food and feeding wet, dry and a combination of both.
The Hill's w/d and m/d diets are great for Shaw's situation and thankfully there are other brands that are very similar. With regards ***** ***** m/d - definitely try the m/d wet if you can. Heating up wet foods in the microwave for literally 5 - 7 seconds can really help to get an aroma coming off them and may help to tempt your girl.
Other brands you should try include Royal Canin Diabetic Feline (wet, dry or mixed feeding) and Purina DM Diabetes Management feline (again wet, dry and mix feeding). The Royal Canin diet is particularly palatable, and again, heating this up slightly could really help. All of these diets are perfect for diabetic cats, and have highly digestible proteins for the IBD component of Shaw's problem.
Definitely give the Royal Canin or Purina diets a try. If she is still only licking at the diets, then definitely discuss an appetite stimulant with your vet (there are a couple that are very helpful in this situation). I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.