Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

MY cat has lost a lot of weight and fur. she was tested fro CKD and t

Customer Question

MY cat has lost a lot of weight and fur. she was tested fro CKD and thyroid both were normal. I an t afford more tests
She drinks ok and eats a lot
yesterday she started peeing on my carpet
she's an indoor/outdoor cat
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This does sound concerning for Sophie. The inappropriate urination could be due to a variety of issues, but the top two would be she has a primary urinary tract problem such as infection or bladder stones or crystals in her urine. The other issue could be that she has something that is inspiring her to drink more and then secondarily need to urinate all the time. Sounds like we have ruled out CKD and hyperthyroidism which leaves a different medical problem such as liver issue or cancer. I assume her lab work testing her liver values. Tehrefore, the most common cause of marked weight loss in spite of a decent appetite and increased urinations is a tumor/cancer.
To diagnose this would require further testing,g probably starting with an X-ray and urinalysis. If this is not possible, then you need to discuss with your vet doing a therapeutic trial which means treat her with medication for a potential urinary tract infection to see if this improves the situation; this is an antibiotic which is prescription. There is nothing over-the-counter to help treat this.
The use of a good quality food is excellent because we do want to inspire her to continue to eat. You may need to restrict access to the area of the house she is urinating. You need to also cleanse the areas she urinated with a good enzymatic cleanser to get the smell out.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Angie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey