Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I have a four year old calico. Today i noticed there is something

Customer Question

I have a four year old calico. Today i noticed there is something covering part of her eye. Can i let this go for a week when we can see the vet
She keeps the eye closed so it does bother her
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** you for the question. When you say something is covering part of her eye, can you describe what this something? Does it look like a little skin flap that is pale or pink in color from the inner corner of the eye?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does
Skin flap or some kind of film
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I am concerned that something could have poked or scratched her in the eye. The film is the body's natural way of protecting the eye surface. The skin flap is called the third eyelid and this protects the eye as well. If there is a scratch on the eye surface, this is painful and can progressively worsen. It is best for these things to be examined as soon as possible. Waiting a day is reasonable but I am concerned about waiting a week. Within a couple days the eye does try to heal itself but 9/10 an eye medication is needed.