Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We have a 9 year old inside cat that weighs 12 pounds. He

Customer Question

We have a 9 year old inside cat that weighs 12 pounds. He is a mix of Rag Doll and Blue Point Siamese. About 3 days ago we noticed that his right eye was watering. We wiped it with a warm wet washcloth. It helped some. Now his white of his eye looks like pink eye but no matter. He closes his right eye quite often. It is watering more and he is sort of rolling his eye up sometimes and he washes it more often than before. When I wash it with a warm washcloth he seems to feel better and not roll his eye up and doesn't wash it as often. Thanks. Gina
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you order Terramycin?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Gina. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, if you have not seen any snotty or pus like discharge from this eye, then we'd not assume this is a bacterial conjunctivitis, Therefore, antibiotics like Terramycin would not be indicated or advisable for your lad. Instead, if the eye has been watering clear discharge, then this tells us that we have a viral conjunctivitis or an irritation (ie trauma, allergy, etc) to the eye.
Instead, you want to just initiate supportive care at this stage. To start, instead of just a warm washcloth, you can flush the eye with sterile saline. This is a mild antiseptic and you can purchase it over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. This can be done 2-3 times daily to flush away irritants and prevent bacteria from causing a secondary conjunctivitis.
Otherwise, if an allergy is suspected, you can trial him on an antihistamine. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). This can be dose at a rate of 0.25 milligrams per pound every 12 hours to reduce any allergic effects for him. We do tend to keep this dose low in cats, as it can cause drowsiness (as it can for us). Of course, do check with his vet before use if he has any pre-existing conditions or is on any medication.
Overall, none of the signs you have reported suggest bacterial infection. Therefore, we'd not use Terramycin here. Instead, we need to monitor, flush the eye, +/- treat for allergies. If it doesn't settle in a few days or if you see any haze on the cornea (a sign of trauma/scratch), then we'd want his vet to stain the eye to make sure there has been no trauma to it that may need treating.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )