Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Dr. Scarlet so here is the situation: I adopted a stray cat around January (feed, wa

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Scarlet so here is the situation: I adopted a stray cat around January (feed, water, flea and tick). About 8 days ago he had what looked to be the start of an abscess on his back right leg. I pored some peroxide on it to clean it and after I cleaned it he would not leave it alone so I put a bandage(vetwrap and gause) on it thinking I would clean it and re-bandage the next day. Well the poor guy vanished that same night and finally came back tonight. He still had the bandage on and when I took it off my worse fears came to light. His leg is now leaking blood and puss all the way to the bone. I have now re-wrapped his leg so he won't bleed too much before I take him in tomorrow morning. I need to know how much blood is too much and if I need to go to the Emergency clinic I will.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Are Buddy's gums pink or pale/white?
Does he seem weak or wobbly?
How much do you think he has lost?
Is it pure blood or mixed with the pus?
Is the blood pumping or pouring out?