Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has low phosphorous level- at a 1.07. All other blood

Customer Question

My cat has low phosphorous level- at a 1.07. All other blood work is normal. No signs of kidney or liver disease. Has lost about 5 lbs. in past few months, almost 1/2 her body weight
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Has the Phosphorous been rechecked to make sure that is a real number and not just a lab error?

Did they do a thyroid panel to rule out hyperthyroidism?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, redid the phosphorus. That's the level. Thyroid is normal. No vomiting, diarrhea. Glucose is in normal range. All other levels in normal range.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok good.

There are many potential causes for low Phos. It could be kidney disease, intestinal disease (decreased absorption), hyperparathyroid disease, hyperthyroid disease, cancer, ect.

It can be tough to figure out why it's low. I would run a parathyroid hormone panel if you can. That will determine if it's hyperparathyroidism. If that is the case, we can fix it by surgically removing the glands.

If the parathyroids are normal, then it may be some type of intestinal disease where Phos is not absorbed normally from the gut. In that case, IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) may make the most sense. Trying a novel protein diet (ie duck and pea) and steroids (ie Prednisolone) may be of benefit if it's IBD.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would IBS suddenly come on? I already feed high quality food, grain free, specifically EVO, wellness core for dry kibble and merrick, weruva for canned. She's been eating this diet for years, no reasons to suddenly change reaction to it. Also, no vomiting or diarrhea or other symptoms of ibs. The vet said it is either ibs or cancer-lymphoma. Wants to do an ultrasound. I'm just not sure if it's worth the cost to find out she's untreatable and gong to die anyways?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
IBD can come on fairly suddenly. Cats hide minor signs, so we may not see them clinically for a while.

An intestinal biopsy would tell you for sure if it's intestinal Lymphoma or IBD. Ultrasound can help, but the biopsy is the way to go. It's worth it to know whether it's manageable (IBD) or eventually fatal (Lymphoma).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the help. While the information you provided was accurate, it did not tell me anything I didn't already know from my vet visit.