Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have a cat that starts to eat her food then is sick. Then

Customer Question

Hi i have a cat that starts to eat her food then is sick. Then goes back to it and eats it. I also have three other cats that have now started to randomly be sick.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl Sub. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about her issue

- How long has this issue been going on for?
- How long after eating will she bring her food up again?
- What are you feeding each of the cats?
- Have you noticed any other symptoms?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi its been going on for about a week now. No other symptoms. She is her normal self. Just that first say three mouth fulls of food. We are feed all the cats kitikat which they have always been on.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Sarah,

Thanks for your quick reply. This new symptom is definitely interesting. If the food is coming back after just 3 mouthfuls, then this is much more likely to be regurgitation rather than vomiting. This could be occuring for a large number of reasons, and one of the most common is in cats who gulp down their food too quickly. While we do need to consider this for your kitties, it would be less likely for this to happen all of a sudden after previously never having this issue before.

First of all - I would recommend feeding Sub (and the other cats if possible) 3 - 4 smaller meals per day. Feeding her small quantities may help her keep her food down if this is indeed regurgitation. You could also consider using a 'slow-down bowl' for your girl to see if this helps her issue. There are a number of very good bowls available for this purpose, and there is a good example online here: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/plastic/slow_feed_cat_bowls/195568 . If the regurgitation continues despite this, then I would be concerned that there could be a functional issue with your girl's oesophagus or something wrong at the back of the throat. Only a full veterinary physical exam and potentially xrays would help to rule that out.

If this was indeed vomiting, then that could explain why the other cats are affected. It is possible all of the cats could have an infectious gastroenteritis, intestinal worms, or an intolerance to this batch of Kitikat. First of all - make sure all of your cats are up to date with their deworming treatments. If they aren't - you need to do this asap with a reliable all-wormer such as Drontal, Milbemax or Panacur. You can get these products from your local vet clinic. If Sub continues to vomit/regurgitate today, then I would definitely recommend following up with your local vet today if you can. As this has been going on for nearly a week now, it would be worth ruling out some of the possible causes mentioned above.

As above, do try feeding the cats more frequent, smaller meals today to see if this helps- and also consider the slow down feeding bowls. Make sure all of the cats are up to date with their deworming, and definitely follow up with your vet if there is no real improvement over the next 24 hours.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Sarah,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your girl Sub. How is she doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E