How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16257
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are afraid that we have been exposed to toxic mold. We

Customer Question

We are afraid that we have been exposed to toxic mold. We are so worried about are Angel. She is a little red in her nostrils. She is eating ok but is staying under the bed a lot during the day. We have found out that mold can affect a persons central
nervous system, brain function like depression. forgetfulness etc. Can this happen to her? We have found out that we have to see an expert who treats people for mold exposure. Are there any vets like this for her to see?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Has she had any coughing or sneezing?
Any discharge from her nose? What color? Was it from one or both nostrils?
Do you think the redness is inflammation or blood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sneezing. No, just runny eyes. Redness in nostrils looks like inflammation. Found to have been exposed to Chaetomium. She would lay on the floor right where the mold was found under carpet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, I would note that fungal infections in cats do not tend to manifest with the same signs as people. Instead, when they appear, we tend to appreciate nasal signs (ie sneezing, redness, bleeding from the nose, coughing, etc) at the start of infection. Though if the fungi is left untreated it can actually eat into the bone of the nasal cavity which can lead to brain spread. If that happens, then we do see behavior changes, depression, and seizures.
Now there are very few veterinary specialists that focus on fungi/mold in the clinical sense. Therefore, since fungal infection could certainly arise in her nostrils in this situation, we'd want to consider having Angel checked by an internal medicine specialist (You can find one at your nearest vet school, private referral practice, or via the ACVIM website @ http://www.acvim.org/AnimalOwners/FindaSpecialist.aspx). They can scope her nose to see if there is obvious fungal plaques present and take biopsy samples to determine if there is even microscopic infection.
If this is confirmed by the vet lab (where our fungal specialists tend to work), then they can advise the internal medicine vet on what treatment could help clear this for Angel. Together, they can tell you if this is a worry and how to treat it to help her.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?

Dr. B.