Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat Jenny is about 14.5 years old. She's obese and drinks

Customer Question

Hi. My cat Jenny is about 14.5 years old. She's obese and drinks a lot of water. Urinates fine. Tonight she had difficulty walking. She will walk a few steps and then lay down and has continued this. I laid facing her and rubbed her back legs she got restless and got up to only lay down a foot away. Please help her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome. I do apologize that my colleagues could not assist you while I was away. Still, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has she been drinking a lot of water?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Does she seem wobbly at all when she walks?
Does she stop like she is out of breath?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.Thank you for getting back to me. It took me so long to get back to you because it was a work day.

Jenny has always been a drinker and her vet has always given her a clean bill of health.

Her gums are light pink/white. She is a bit wobbly, not out of breath.

She purrs when I rub her belly.

How do I take breathing rate?

Nancy

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Nancy.

No worries, I do suspect we are playing a bit of time zone tag as well.
In any case, all you need to do to take a breathing rate is to count every breath she takes for 10 seconds. Then if you times that by 6, we get the breaths per minute. If its hard to see her taking the breath, you can just out your hand on her chest when counting so you can feel them.

As well do you think her gums are more pale then usual? Then yours or any other pets in the house?