Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is 10 years old. She stopped eating yesterday and has

Customer Question

My cat is 10 years old. She stopped eating yesterday and has not eaten today. She just lays on the carpet mostly sleeping. She is normally very active. Last night she threw up some yellowish fluid. Today she has been doing a lot of drooling. There has not been a hair ball in a while. I will see the vet tomorrow or go to an animal hospital today if need be. Does this sound like that kind of emergency?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sammi. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
I am pretty worried about a cat that is not eating at all, and is vomiting. Is she at least drinking some water?
If you look at her gums, do they look pink, or are they pale?
Is she urinating?
Test her for dehydration: Gently pinch skin over her shoulders and let go; it should go back into position in less than one second. If it takes longer, she is dehydrated.
If she is dehydrated, if her gums look pale, if she won't even drink water, if she is not urinating, I would consider this to be an emergency and that she should be checked out today if possible. If she will drink, and her gums are pink, and she is not dehydrated it would not be wrong to go to emergency today, but she might be OK to wait for her regular vet who knows here first thing tomorrow.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.