Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

It has been 3 days since my 2 year old female cat has used

Customer Question

it has been 3 days since my 2 year old female cat has used her bathroom. Is she sick?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did you mean its been 3 days since you have seen her pass stool?
When did she last urinate?
Is Kissy eating?
Have you seen her straining to go?
Are you sure she isn't going anywhere else in the house or outside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have examined every room and no pee or stool. Yes, she eats very well. I have not witness any straining
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
If you suspect she isn't passing urine (which is critical for life), can you tell me how she is?
Does she appear poorly? Depressed, licking her genitals, showing lethargy or collapse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seems quite normal and likes to drink out of my glass, so I give it to her. A little lethargic a little depressed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
Now I have to say that I do suspect Kissy is passing urine outside of her litter box. This is because not urinating for 3 days would leave us with a collapsed and suffering wee kitty. So, if she is generally normal, then she isn't being honest about where she is passing urine. So, if you are having trouble finding where she is going, I would suggest using a black light to check for urine,as cat urine does glow under this type of light.
Otherwise, if she was passing stool elsewhere, this would be harder for her to hide. Therefore, I will outline some supportive treatments that you can try to help her in case she does have a bit of constipation. Now to start, you can offer some cow milk. Kitties are like little lactose intolerant people, and while the love milk it can move things down the gut a bit quicker (ie. Cause mild diarrhea in an unconstipated cat). If she is mildly constipated, this might just get things moving in the right direction.
Another option that can help and be used long term would be cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose, or food grade liquid paraffin or mineral oil orally. All should be available OTC at the pharmacy. Ideally, instead of offering it direct, do consider adding it to a food she likes. This is much safer, since giving directly could lead to aspiration if she struggled when it was given.
Finally, if she is a cat that struggles to pass feces most of the time, you can consider increasing her dietary fiber to help push the feces through her GI. To do so, you can consider mixing some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil/Benefiber into her food daily. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). And alongside this, promoting her to drink well is also advisable (since constipation can be due to dehydration).
Overall, if Kissy is well in herself, then we'd not be overly suspicious of an inability to pass urine (since not being able to do so would cause her to be very unwell). Therefore, consider using a black light to check where she may be going. Otherwise, if she hasn't passed any stool for 3 days, we can use the above steps to get things moving for her While doing so, we do want to keep a close eye on her fecal and urinary output. If you try the above but don't see feces within the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want to consider getting your vet involved. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if she doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then she may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation). And of course, if she truly isn't urinating, then that is a kitty emergency and we'd want her checked by her vet.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****