Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have an outdoor cat that I brought in now he is really not

Customer Question

I have an outdoor cat that I brought in now he is really not eating I am bringing food to him and he will eat a little but he had a medical check up at my vet and all was well I am worried the dog has scared him or something as he was doing fine now for the past week this issue
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This does sound very concerning for Blackie. If his signs started AFTER his veterinary visit, then perhaps something new is going on. If it happened immediately after, and he had vaccines, then it could be a vaccine reaction. If it was more than a week ago he had his check-up, then probably not related to that visit. Unfortunately his symptoms are vague (not eating well) and could indicate one of a long list of potential problems ranging from infection (such as from cat fight trauma; this is absolutely the top on the list and an antibiotic from your vet could cure this), organ issue (liver, kidney) to pancreatitis to toxin ingestion to trauma and the list continues.
The absolute best is to try to tempt him to eat with all his favorites. Perhaps pull out canned meat products like tuna or canned chicken. Try people baby food of the chicken variety (warmed for a few seconds in microwave helps); use "first foods." Use his favorite canned and crunchy foods.
If he is not improved by tomorrow (eating better) or develops new symptoms, then I really would advocate a visit to see his veterinarian. He needs an exam and some testing (lab work including a CBC, chemistry profile and urine check +/- stool check) to try to narrow down what is going on. I regret I cannot be more specific but I too would need to perform an exam and possibly testing.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.