Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat had a tendon-ectomy. his thumb nail seems to have grown

Customer Question

my cat had a tendon-ectomy. his thumb nail seems to have grown into his paw. i put neosporin on the area yesterday but tonight i found small blood spots on the blanket
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is the thumb nail still poking into his thumb at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello????????????
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience,
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, cats with tendon-ectomies are not able to scratch and thus wear down their nails like they used to. This means that nails will continuously grow and require regular clipping, else the claws will curve around and grow into the toes as you are seeing with Bartok. And as it gets deeper, we will see blood and he will become painful.
Therefore, the first step here is that the nail needs to be clipped and the part in his toe needs to be pulled out. If you are comfortable doing this (and you have someone to restrain him, since it usually very sore), then you will want to do this now. Otherwise, you can have a local vet or groomer clip the for you (and the rest while they are at it to prevent this happening to any other toe). Once this out, they tend to feel much better, the tissues will stop being traumatized (so the bleeding will stop) and the skin can heal.
After care for these healing lesions is often mild and you can salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) and then you can apply the Neosporin (though avoid the one with local anesthetics since those are not cat friendly) 2-3 times daily. Of course, if his nail was very dirty or you see any swelling as it heals, then we'd want his vet to put him on a course of antibiotics and kitty safe pain relief.
Overall, you are seeing blood because this is growing more and pushing deeper into his skin. So, the most important thing to do is to clip that nail and get that point out of his skin. If we leave it, this can progress even more and cause severe pain. But the sooner its out, the sooner this can help and he can be relieved of this suffering.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.