Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is hyperthyroid and we have been trying transdermal

Customer Question

My cat is hyperthyroid and we have been trying transdermal ear medication. However he has cauliflower ears and I am not sure how this medicine is absorbing. We have had trouble regulating his thyroid. I know this must be a moot point because we are going totry radio iodine. But I was trying to figure ok why we have had so much trouble. He is also diabetic and 16 years old!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
This is not uncommon with the trans-dermal medication. It's nice that it's easy to apply, but the absorption is pretty spotty and random. That means we don't have a consistent blood level of the medication and it's tough to manage the disease well.
I would probably go with oral Methimazole along with the special diet (Hill's Y/D) until you get radioactive iodine therapy. The iodine therapy is the gold standard, and what I would absolutely do. It's expensive and a bit labor intensive for a few days, but it's a one time deal and it's curative. It's worth it in my opinion.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.