Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I took my male cat to the vet because he was going in & out of

Customer Question

I took my male cat to the vet because he was going in & out
of the litter box & urinating a very little bit frequently. He was not blocked
& was given antibiotic shot to last 2 weeks & anti inflammatory. No temp & he quite alert. I called vet and he said he may have to be catherized.
We could not get a urine speciman as the vet came to my house. Should
I see another vet??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 10 year old boy Bear who has been urinating more frequently and in and out of the litter box as well. There are a number of reasons why this can happen, but the most common causes are cystitis (inflammation of the bladder lining), urinary crystals/stones, or less commonly - due to a urinary tract infection. It sounds like your vet has covered Bear for a potential urinary tract infection, as well as for cystitis - and given Bear is an older boy, the chance of a UTI is higher than in a younger cat.

You will need to keep a very close eye on Bear over the next week, as your vet is right. Many male cats in this situation are very prone to getting a blocked penis. It sounds like he has been fine thus far, but if it ever looks like Bear is in the litter box and straining, but little or no urine is being produced, then it is highly like that Ben has a blockage. This would be a medical emergency to get him catheterized and unblocked - so definitely keep a close eye on Bear's urination to make sure everything is flowing ok.

In the meantime while you are giving Bear the anti inflammatory, please also try to encourage him to drink plenty of water. Changing his diet from a dry based diet to a wet diet can also help with water intake.

I think your vet has done a pretty routine job here - so I wouldn't be disappointed. If your boy is still urinating frequently and in and out of the litter box in several days, then I would recommend taking him in to the clinic. If the vet is mobile only - then yes, change to another vet that has a clinic. Here they can keep Bear if needed in order to get a fresh urine sample. Given he is older, a full geriatric blood test would also be a good idea, and to ensure there aren't any urinary stones, a bladder ultrasound would be wise also.

For now - continue with the meas as prescribed, encourage Bear's water intake and keep a close eye on his urination. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ina,

I thought I would just check in quickly to see how Bear is doing now. Hopefully the meds are starting to take effect now?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E