Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat has bad bladder infection bleeding in urine & little

Customer Question

My cat has bad bladder infection bleeding in urine & little crystals come out. Went to vet yesterday he is on antibiotics but won't eat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 3 year old Tabby boy Wishbone who is currently receiving antibiotics for a urinary issue and who won't currently eat. You are going to need to continue to try and coax him to eat if you can. In this situation, going for wet food over dry is going to be much more beneficial by helping to increase his overall water intake. Thankfully, it sounds like he is drinking a normal amount. If he goes off water, then this becomes a lot more of an issue.
It sounds like your vet is covering your boy for a potential urinary tract infection. I'm not sure if they did a culture of your boy's urine to confirm an infection first, but that would be a good idea if they haven't. This allows a confirmation of a UTI (which is actually very uncommon in young cats), but also if there is a UTI, which bugs are present, and what antibiotics are best to use.
Wishbone most likely has some bad inflammation of the lining of his bladder (cystitis) and this will likely be causing the blood in the urine that has been seen. This in tandem with some crystals means that Wishbone may actually have a couple of issues here. If your boy isn't eating, it could very well be due to pain - so I would encourage you to call or revisit your vet to see if you can get some anti-inflammatories for your boy. Metacam is the most common feline anti inflammatory and would be perfect for this situation. In tandem with this, increasing your boy's water intake by encouraging him to drink and offering him lots of wet food will also help.
If your boy continues to turn his nose up to all food today, but is still drinking, then you can wait until the morning to get him seen and follow up with your vet. Here they can hopefully recheck him, recheck his urine, prescribe an anti inflammatory and an appetite stimulant. If he refuses all food - he may have to stay in the hospital and be hand fed by the vet nursing staff.
Finally - keep a very close eye on his urination. If at any stage it looks like Wishbone is straining and no urine is being produced, get him straight down to your local vet or ER vet (depending on who is open at the time). Male cats are very prone to getting a blocked penis - particularly those in this situation and with known urinary crystals present in the bladder. These situations are a medical emergency and Wishbone would require emergency catheterization to remove the blockage.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.