Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a very aggressive cat she is 7 or 8 years old. last

Customer Question

I have a very aggressive cat she is 7 or 8 years old. last night she was wondering around the apartment, stumbling and walking around in circles in and out of things. she is confused. She let me pick her up which I have never done without a fight. She is not the cuddly cat, she just stay's in my arms purring I took her to the pet emergency room and her vitals were fine. she was stable I took her home because I could not afford the overnight stay. I am going to my regular vet today. The doctor last night said she would have to do extensive tests but couldn't tell me what it might be. Right now she has found a place to sleep under the bed where she usually goes only she is sleeping between to boxes instead of the blanket I put under there that she always sleeps on. The only things I have noticed in the past few days is that she has been scratching her ears to the point where she had scabs near them. (her claws have not been cut for a while because she wouldn't let me do that) I know with out tests you cant say what it is, but what does it sound like.
1. confusion
2. walking around in circles
3. lethargic
4. sudden change in temperament
5. almost like she has forgotten
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Fiona. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Is she eating and drinking since this change in her? Did they do any tests at all at the emergency clinic: blood tests, blood pressure, vision test, look into her ears with a scope? Did she have a fever when they took her temperature?
Confusion, walking in circles, lethargy all sound like something is affecting her brain. This could be from a stroke, high blood pressure, a brain tumor, or an infection of her brain (bacterial, viral, parasite). An ear infection could cause an infection of the inner ear and brain.
If I could, I would begin by seeing if she can see (drop a cotton ball in front of her and see if she watches it fall), take her temperature (normal is between 101 and 102) and try to get a good look in her ears ( although with an inner ear infection, the outer ear can appear normal). I would take her blood pressure, and test her reflexes.
If she has a temp over 104, I would start antibiotics. If her blood pressure is high, I would start blood pressure medication.
If everything I checked with my exam was normal, then unfortunately the next step is trying to image the brain: CT or MRI and these are expensive tests.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.