Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat's claw is facing sideways instead of forward what can

Customer Question

my cat's claw is facing sideways instead of forward what can I do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long has it been like this?
Does the nail seem loose?
Is it painful if you handle it?
Any blood visible on its base?
Does he have any lameness?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
today is the first time I've seen it there's no blood and it doesn't seem to lose he won't let me touch you and and he is limping a little
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
If this is a sudden finding, he is limping, and not keen to be handled; then we'd be highly suspicious Craggy has caught the nail and broken it at the base. This will likely have been traumatic, so the toe is likely sore as well and the twisted nail may be pinching the nail bed.
If it had been loose, then we could have monitored for it to fall off or gently removed it for him. But if it doesn't feel loose and he is sore, then it'd be best to consider a check with his vet. They can remove the nail (since a new one may not regrow until this is removed) and dispense cat safe pain relief (since OTC human ones are toxic to cats) to reduce inflammation, discomfort, and settle his limping.
Overall, based on all his signs and the nail position, this is nothing sinister but instead a sign of trauma from the nail being caught, broken, and twisted. Therefore, you can monitor this (+/- salt water bathe the toe to prevent infection) but if he is sore, then its best to have the local vet removed it for Craggy and start him on some pain relief to soothe the discomfort for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Craggy. How is everything going?

Dr. B.