Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We live in country and have an outdoor kitty with 3 kittens,

Customer Question

We live in the country and have an outdoor kitty with 3 kittens, about a month old now. We just noticed tonight that 2 of kittens have developed open wounds. 1 kitten, by anus about the size of pencil eraser, 2nd kitten has 2, one under belly, also eraser size, and 1 that is on underside of tail that is about nickel size. We've had many litters of kittens, I've never seen anything like this before, mama hasn't had any vet treatment before, at first glance, was thinking parasites? Wounds weren't there 3 days ago, they aren't pussing, but are oozing blood. Thoughts?

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one's situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Are the wounds deep or superficial/graze-like?

Are you seeing them groom or scratch these areas?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.