Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Ten years experience in critical care, preventative medicine, behavioral, and chronic cases in cats.
21470562

I have a VERY frightened feral cat that CANNOT be handled or

Customer Question

I have a VERY frightened feral cat that CANNOT be handled or trapped. He has a wound on this leg that is obviously infected. He is very sick but our local Pet ER will not prescribe an antibiotic without seeing him, which is impossible. Can you prescribe an antibiotic to mix in his food or a pill pocket, if we can get him to eat (he is very reluctant)?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thank you of posting your question on Just Answer. I will do my best to help you and answer as much as possible. I am sorry to hear about your feral cat. These can be really challenging cases because the patient is so difficult to assess. The wound on the leg that you can see is infected is probably making him feel very ill and is certainly painful. Ideally, the best thing to do for him would be to anesthetize him, clean the wound extensively, check the rest of his health status, and give him pain medications and antibiotics. I understand he is feral and not able to be touched. But your local veterinarian is correct in that they are not able to prescribe an antibiotic without seeing him. It is not because they are being mean - it is actually against the law to prescribe any medications to animals without being able to see them first. Veterinarians have to have a valid relationship with a patient to do any therapy or medicating.
I know this does not give you a solution, but unfortunately the best thing that you can do is work towards trapping your cat. You can ask for the help of the local humane society or even a pest control company to help set traps that will be more successful in capturing the kitty. Once in the trap, the whole trap can be taken to the vet clinic and he can be safely anesthetized. I hope that helps, and good luck.
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Gwen