Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Cat vomits up water when attempted feeding, raspy breathing,

Customer Question

Cat vomits up water when attempted feeding, raspy breathing, and isn't moving at all. He has gotten worse very quickly over a short amount of time
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds very concerning for Rocky. Any time we have a cat with difficulty breathing, this is one of those clear indications this is an emergency. My absolute best and first recommendation is to take him in to be seen now, especially because not only is he having difficulty breathing but he is profoundly lethargic.
I wish I could diagnose exactly what is going on with him based on his signs but his symptoms are vague and could reflect one of many potential problems ranging from infection (viral especially feline leukemia virus, bacterial, fungal)to pneumoni to feline asthma to heart disease/failure to throwing blood clots to toxin exposure to organ failure and the list continues.
He really needs an immediate exam by a veterinarian followed by some testing to narrow down the list of potential causes. This testing might include a CBC, chemistry profile, viral screening (feline leukemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus, if not done in the past 1-2 years) and radiographs (X-rays) if the examining vet feels there is a primary chest/heart problem.
When a cat is having these symptoms there is not a lot you can do at home, especially if he vomits when you have attempted to feed him. This means any medication we try at home is not going to work because it will not stay down long enough. He is going to need injectable medication for therapy as given by your vet.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey