petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat had an exploratory surgery on sat. I took her home

Customer Question

my cat had an exploratory surgery on sat. I took her home on monday and she has not eaten or drank water. she came out of hiding and is lying down next to me. is she feeling better.? how long does it take before she starts eating? how can I help her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.
........
Can you tell me what was found during the exploratory?
........
Was she sent home with any medications? If so, what were they?
.......
Did she have bloodwork before the surgery?
........
Can you look at her gums? Are they pink and does the color come back quickly when you press on them? Are they wet or tacky or dry?
......
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her gums are pink and wet . they gave her an appetite stimulant . They found nothing in her stomach. they did biopsies. they did blood work. NO RESULTS YET
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I SEE SOME GREY IN HER GUMS...I DONT KNOW IF ITS NORMAL. SHE HAS GREY COLORED FUR. BUT HER GUMA ARE WET AND SOME PINK CLOSEST TO TEETH
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SHE HAS COME OUT OF HIDING AND STAYS CLOSE TO ME
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SHE GAGS AND DROOLS WHEN I TRY TO FEED HER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PRIOR TO HER SURGERY HER BLOOD WORK WAS GREAT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HER XRAY SHOWED A FORIEGN OBJECT...HOWEVER THEY FOUND NOTHING
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.
......
If she had surgery a week ago, and she is still not eating, that is a big concern. I am glad to hear that her gums are pink and wet, but there is not doubt she is a little dehydrated by now. That alone can lead to decreased appetite. On top of that, I am surprised that she was not given anything for pain. That may have been part of the reason for her initial hiding.
.......
Her anorexia may be due to her original problem (which led to the exploratory) or it may be due to the exploratory itself or a combination of both, but in any case, she needs some supportive care to keep her calorie intake up or she will end up getting sicker. Anorexia in a cat can lead to liver disease.
....
I would suggest that you have your vet re-evaluate her and perhaps offer some fluid therapy while waiting for the results to come back. I am not sure which appetite stimulant was offered, but if it was not the drug called mirtazipine, I would inquire about that. It may be worthwhile to consider a temporary feeding tube as well until you get a diagnosis and treatment is started. Also, it may be that she is still painful and may need that addressed as well.
........In answer to your other replies:
I SEE SOME GREY IN HER GUMS...I DONT KNOW IF ITS NORMAL. SHE HAS GREY COLORED FUR. BUT HER GUMA ARE WET AND SOME PINK CLOSEST TO TEETH- maybe pigment color on her gums due to her coat color.
........
SHE GAGS AND DROOLS WHEN I TRY TO FEED HER - that is often a sign of nausea and may be part of her original disease. Your vet should prescribe an anti-nausea medicine for her like zofran.
.....
PRIOR TO HER SURGERY HER BLOOD WORK WAS GREAT - great. I am assuming that since the surgery, bloodwork was rechecked. If not, it should be.
..........
HER XRAY SHOWED A FORIEGN OBJECT...HOWEVER THEY FOUND NOTHING - that is not uncommon. I am so glad to hear however that they took biopsy samples.
.........
Here is a link with more information about feeding tubes in cats.
......
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3504
......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THEY GAVE ME CYROHEPRADINE ...IT WAS THE HUMANE SOCIETY OF NY...go figure...thanks
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Cyproheptadine works in some cats, but in my opinion, mirtazipine works better. Most importantly however is finding out why she is not wanting to eat.
......
Good luck with her. Please keep me updated as to how things progress.