petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat was attacked by our two dogs an hour ago. I can't find

Customer Question

My cat was attacked by our two dogs an hour ago. I can't find any blood on my cat, but I did see blood on one of the dogs' mouth. I am most worried about the cat as he is taking a while to calm down. He was in shock (big pupils, growling, panting) for almost an hour. Now that he is more calm, he is having trouble getting comfortable and shifts his lie frequently. How can I tell if he has internal injuries? I have gone over him fairly well for external injuries.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Can you look at his gums and see if they are nice and pink and if the color comes back quickly when you press on them? Are they wet or tacky to the touch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check right now. BRB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are pink and the color comes back after pressing them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, they are wet to touch.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
How about his breathing? Does it seem labored or fast? Abnormal in any way?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Has he urinated or defecated since the attack?Does he have all of his claws?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, without a thorough physical exam, we cannot be certain and cannot rule out some internal injuries. The most common would include internal bleeding from a ruptured organ (like spleen or bladder), spinal injuries, torn diaphragm, and lung contusions. Even with an exam, these conditions may not be readily apparent. If he seems stable for now, and you can’t have him examined, your best course of action is to monitor him. Pay particular attention to the things I have already mentioned (breathing, color, elimination habits) and watch how he moves about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has not urinated or defecated, he has all his claws. His breathing is normal. He is still very growly and doesn't want to be touched. He continues to growl even after I walk away. I can't tell if he is just bruised, sore and traumatized or if he has an injury he is hiding.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is the challenge of working with cats.He may very likely be sore as the day goes on due to muscle bruising. It would be best to have an exam performed, but he may even be a challenge for you to handle. If you are able to gently wrap him in an oversized towel, that may make it easier for you to pick him up. Unfortunately, there are not any over the counter pain relievers that are safe to use in cats. If he is sore enough that he needs something, you will need to enlist the support of your vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I appreciate it.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Some injuries tend to get worse over time as tissue swelling occurs. I would advise that if he appears to be getting more “growly”, it may indicate he is getting more painful and would urge you to seek a veterinarian who can examine him. Good luck with him. I will be online most of today. You can reply back if you have any further questions as the day progresses and I would be happy to reply.