Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has eye discharge. Sometimes it is yellow looking.

Customer Question

My cat has eye discharge. Sometimes it is yellow looking. Most of the time it is almost black and crusty. I use warm water to clean his eyes but they dont seem to be getting any better.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
In the great majority of cases like Charlie, an infectious conjunctivitis underlies the discharge you're seeing. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common infectious agent followed by Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma bacteria. Charlie's vet can PCR (a DNA-based) test a conjunctival swab taken from Charlie to see which agents are present and then treat specifically for that agent(s).
Your cleaning as you're doing is smart. We now need to find either an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment for the bacteria (over the counter Terramycin ophthalmic ointment instilled thrice daily for 10 consecutive days is a good choice; please see here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674) or an antiviral ointment such as one containing the prescription cidofovir or one of the newer prescription antiviral drugs.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.