Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 12 year old persian/himalayian mixed cat. Up until

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old persian/himalayian mixed cat. Up until recently she has always had another cat in the house with her. My question is can she be lonely without another animal in the house.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now the key to knowing how Diamond feels about being an only cat is to look at her current behavior. This is important because cats are naturally and instinctively solitary animals. Therefore, while some cats are willing to share their territory with other pets, it is not their natural desire or default behavior. Therefore, if you find that she is coping well on her own with the attention you are lavishing on her, then she likely won't mind being an only cat. But if you see her searching for lost companions, vocalising excessively while doing so, or pining for her friends; then she may be one of the minority of cats that does appreciate same species companionship. So, generally speaking, we'd not assume that she is lonely without another cat unless she is acting out and showing you that living on her own isn't for her and a companion may be an ideal for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.