Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have found a kitten, that I don't believe was past weening

Customer Question

I have found a kitten, that I don't believe was past weening stage yet, looks to be 3-4 weeks old, am having a hard time finding food she can eat that won't give it diarrhea.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
If it looks a bit too young for solid food and everything you have tried is causing diarrhea, then it'd be ideal to take a step a back and bottle feed this wee one. Ideally, we'd want to use a kitten specific milk replacer like Cimicat or KMR (both are available OTC at your vets, most pet stores, and even online). And if she is able to take food from a bowl, you can offer it as a feed instead of via a bottle alone. If you do that as she settles in for the next few weeks, you can then slowly wean her onto to solids when her gut is ready is digest them. And of course, since she has an unknown background and is having diarrhea, do make sure you worm her using a good quality kitten safe wormer (ie Panacur) at this stage as well.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )