Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have a 15 year old female. Hasn't eaten more than a spoon

Customer Question

We have a 15 year old female. Hasn't eaten more than a spoon full of any type of cat food, for 3 weeks... From 15 #s Now 9lbs. 10 oz. The Vet after [ X-Rays & Ultra sound "$ 600.00"
Says she has cancer & Urinary infection! { I See her shake her head having trouble eating & Swallowing... } PLEASE HELP!!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. It does sound like there is likely some type of cancer. Lymphoma would be the most likely to lead to GI signs (inappetence) along with that degree of weight loss. That is almost 40% of her body weight that she lost.
The treatment for Lymphoma, or an unknown cancer, is with steroids +/- Chemotherapy. Most owners will just go with Prednisolone, an oral steroid. If you want to be more aggressive, I would get a consult with an oncologist and start IV Chemotherapy.
As for the weight loss and anorexia, I would absolutely want to place an e-tube (esophagostomy) in her. This is a feeding tube that enters the esophagus at the level of the neck. They are easy to place with a short anesthetic, and they are well tolerated. This way, you can syringe adequate amounts of food into the tube. It's easy on the cat and you. Any time a cat goes more than 3 days without eating, I consider a tube. Once they hit 5 days, they absolutely get a tube. 3 weeks is far too long.
If you don't want to treat aggressively, then I would consider euthanasia. It's not at all the wrong decision here.
I hope this helps give you some ideas, let me know if you have any other questions.