Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our cat just started wetting his bed and he has loose

Customer Question

Hi. our cat just started wetting his bed and he has loose bowels and will just go anywhere like he can't hold it.... indoor cat....dry food...I gave him just a bite of tuna a week ago ....all his blood work came back normal. also begging to go outside which he never did before. bet wants to put him on a probionic pill. any thoughts ? I hate keeping him separate in a small area but I can't have him pooping all over the house. thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Taking cat to emergency. Please refund the 28.00. I haven't heard anything back from you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Charlie is having loose stools which he seems unable to control.
Am I understanding correctly that he is also urine incontinent when he sleeps in his bed (dribbling urine and unable to control it when he is sleeping)?
Some cats with diarrhea will have stool accidents simply because the frequency of stools and urge to go is such that they don't make it to their litter box. But that should not cause him to have urine incontinence.
What sort of bloodwork was checked on him?
I assume that he had a complete blood count and biochemistry profile. I would also want to check for diseases that will affect his nervous system as well as his gastrointestinal system. I would want to test for feline leukemia, feline immunodeficiency virus and Toxoplasmosis.
If he is truly incontinent then radiographs to look at his spine and the areas around the spine that would affect the nerve roots coming off his spine would important as well. If there are any signs of diskospondylitis (an infection of his vertebrae or bones of the spine) or the soft tissue around his spine then a urine culture would be worth checking to try and determine the cause and appropriate antibiotic as these infections often spread from the urinary tract to the spine.
While probiotics can help rebalance his gut bacteria and may help firm up his stools I am not sure that will be enough in his case if his urinary tract is also affected and he truly is incontinent.
There are some things that you can do at home that may help improve his loose stools.
These include a 24 hour food fast. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or clear broth given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with diarrhea.
Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat his irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until his stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.
If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go to have it checked for parasites.
After his food fast start a bland diet of 2/3 boiled white skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous in his stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.
 You can add a probiotic to this mix daily as well. Good brand name products are Fortiflora or Proviable.
Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.