Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I am feeling so guilty. i had a stray cat that i started feeding

Customer Question

i am feeling so guilty. i had a stray cat that i started feeding nine months ago. I LOVED THIS CAT...i named him Bongos. he was getting into fights with another cat and kept getting wounds on him....and then he got a bad eye infection in both eyes. i decided to bring him into my home where i have two other cats. Bongos would have to be separated because it was aggressive toward other cats. I brought Bongos to the vet....i was ready to get him neutered and shots etc...but the vet told me he had Feline Aids. She recommended putting him down. I needed help deciding what to do...but ultimately i decided to have him put down. I have been feeling so badly about it ever since. I know bongos probably would not have been happy inside and i would have had to keep the cats separated. Except for the wounds and the eye infection...he was such a happy kitty...and he was eating real well. I feel so badly...did i make the wrong decision. I'm not God...the vet said Bongos would have had recurring infections etc. did i do the right thing?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. I'm very sorry you were put in this situation with Bongos. It is absolutely hard when a situation arises where an outside cat is going to be brought into a house when they have FIV. If there are other cats in the house, then there is the chance that through fights the infection could be passed onto them. The virus itself can at some time suppress the immune system and not allow them to fight off simple infections. You showed great compassion in your care for him. You didn't make the decision to let him go without a heavy heart and that shows. Your decision (and the vet's recommendation) was made to not let him lead a quality of life / lifestyle that wasn't fair to him. His nature was one that being inside may have been very hard for him. You made the decision that a lot of owners have made and you should know that while he was with you, you gave him the best possible.