Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 10 yr old male is loosing his hair on both sides. there

Customer Question

my 10 yr old male is loosing his hair on both sides. there isn't any sign of fleas or scabs, his skin is pretty pink and it doesn't seem to bother him as he doesn't lick himself abnormally.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
If he had fleas or scabs he would be intensely itchy and grooming all the time. You probably would also see some sign of skin lesions like small pinpoint scabs or something. If he is not on monthly flea control then this is certainly a start, but not all flea control products work in cats any more. Over-the-counter there only one I would trust is Advantage II. From your vet you could get Revolution or Advantage Multi.
This type of hair loss is unfortunately not typical for one particular skin problem. It could indicate one of many possibilities ranging from ringworm to allergies (food, environmental) to sign of internal disease to behavioral (stress related). I wish I had an easy solution for you that will cure this but this is one of those issues that takes some times to work through with your vet. IF he was my patient I would recommend starting with a skin scraping to look for mites, bacteria and yeast. If anything is seen, then we treat this. Second, we should do a ringworm culture. And if not done in the past 2-3 months some screening lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, thyroid check and urine check) to look for underlying problems that could lead to internal pain. If all is normal then you could consider a trial with a steroid to see if this is an itchy problem (he is over grooming from itchy); this can be given by your vet as injection or medication, depending on what your vet thinks would be safe. As well starting monthly flea control for a few months is a good idea.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey