Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I put Advantage Flea Control on my kittens (6 months old) for

Customer Question

I put Advantage Flea Control on my kittens (6 months old) for the first time on Saturday. Within an hour all 3 were sneezing. Now three almost four days later, they are still sneezing and are getting congested and I noticed that one of them is starting to act a little bit lethargic.
what can I do to help them now with the congestion and
is it safe to use Advantage again, or what type of flea control can I use in the future?
Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Are you seeing any nasal or eye discharge?
If so, what color?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Clear discharge from noses. Nothing from their eyes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
First, I would note that Advantage is not known to cause sneezing in kittens. Therefore, we'd be most suspicious that their sneezing could have started due to nasal irritation from the chemicals in the product, but if this is continuing longer then 24 hours and we have congestion and lethargy rearing their heads, then its much more likely that this is due to a brewing viral cat flu agent.
Now since the discharge is clear and viruses would be our main concern, we can consider starting supportive care at this stage. Of course, if you see that discharge become snotty (a sign of bacterial involvement and an indication for antibiotics), then we'd need to have them seen by their local vet.
With that all in mind, in regards ***** ***** care, there are a few home treatments that can be of benefit. To start, since they are sneezing, you can take them in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting them. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces, so do consider making them a ‘steam tent’ with the kitties in their carrier, the humidifier next to it, and a sheet over them both.
If they are building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Furthermore, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt their head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.
Making sure they keep eating is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat. Therefore, if you see any appetitess waning, then you can try tempting with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help them be able to smell it.
Since herpes can often triggering these kinds of signs, you can also consider starting them on L-lysine. This is a nutritional supplement that can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter at vets, health food stores, pet stores, and online. It tends to come as gels, powders, or crushable tablets that can be mixed in food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.
Overall, the Advantage may have tickled noses but it won't be the cause of these continued signs. So, you could use it or an alternative product in the future. But for the moment, we want to start supportive care and monitor them closely to make sure this settles.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )