Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Strange pinkish

Customer Question

strange pinkish facial
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My tuxedo cat (about 12 -14 years old) recently developed some pinkish facial spots. What are they?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you upload a photo of these spots to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't upload a photo until tomorrow.
No worries. I'll watch for your next post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the photo. Can't find the paperclip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is
Thank you! That affected skin can represent dermatophytosis (fungal infection/ringworm), demodicosis (Demodex mange mite), and, less likely, an autoimmune skin disorder (pemphigus). Miss Bella Luna's vet will need to perform a fungal culture on hairs from that skin lesion and skin scrapings in order to detect mange mites. The uncommon pemphigus is diagnosed by biopsying the skin. Please note that ringworm is zoonotic; in other words, you can contract that fungus and so it's best if Miss Bella Luna is attended to at your earliest convenience.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.