Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We have had a feral cat 2 years and today I noticed

Customer Question

We have had a feral cat for over 2 years and today I noticed one side of her face was all bloody and no fur around that area. We have never touched her and wish there was some way we could help her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Based on your description, we'd be most concerned that your lass has had a facial trauma, likely secondary to an altercation with another cat. In this case, you are of course limited in treating this if you cannot handle here. But as we may have a painful abscess that will cause recurrent issue unless treated, I do want to note that it'd be best to get in contact with your local cat charities and rescues. (you can contact your local vet as well, as they may also have a trap for you to use or can refer you to the rescues they work with). The reason is because they may be willing to loan you a humane cat trap to catch her. Furthermore, if she can be with you for 2 years, they may be willing to just catch her, take her in for vet treatment (often we can use a long acting antibiotic to treat abscesses in non-tabletable cats), and then release her back where she is. Because while they could try to rehome her, if she is happy where she is and you are happy to feed her, then they likely won't want to compromise that for her.
Overall, a cat fight abscess would be the most likely cause for what you are seeing. And in this case, it'd be best to have this examined and treats for her to prevent it being a lingering issue for her. So, in this case, we'd want to consider speaking to the local vet and cat rescues about catching her so that care can be administered.
Please take care,
Dr. B.