Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat is sneezing does he have a cold?

Customer Question

my cat is sneezing does he have a cold?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about the amount of sneezing that Levi has been doing.
A sneeze simply means that something is irritating his nose. It can be dust, pollens, an irritating, strong smell, increased tearing draining into his nose, a viral, bacterial or fungal infection or a foreign body, a tooth root infection or nasal mass irritating the nasal mucosa.
If this were a one time thing then dust, pollen, a strong smell, or increased tearing would be most likely. If this is a more chronic thing I would be more inclined to think of an infection (fungal, bacterial or viral), a foreign body (blade of grass, a grass awn), a tooth root infection, or mass in his nose.
If he has no, or a little clear, nasal discharge, is eating and drinking normally, and his nose conformation is unchanged (no swelling or bumps) then it may be a viral infection, in which case this should pass on its own.
You could try giving him an amino acid supplement called L-lysine at a dose of 500mg orally twice daily. If this infection is due to Herpes this amino acid interferes with virus replication and will shorten the infection's duration and severity. Good supplements to try are made by the Viralys brand which comes in a powder to add to the food or a tasty gel.
In the meantime using a humidifier in the room he sleeps in most of the time, and/or taking him into the bathroom with you when you run a hot bath or shower to breathe in steam/humid air can help.
If he continues to sneeze, has a change in his nasal conformation, a bloody or green nasal discharge the next step would be sedation, dental radiographs to look for bad tooth roots, a nasal scope and skull radiographs to look for a foreign body or mass. It may be helpful to collect samples for bacterial and fungal cultures as well.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, I am just following up to make sure that you don't have any further questions. Please let me know if I can be of any further help, Dr. Kara.