Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Dr. Bruce.Guess I'm asking . Have a neutered m

Customer Question

Hi, Dr. Bruce.
Guess I'm asking for confirmatio. Have a neutered male cat, somewhere between the ages 10 and 20. He came to my backdoor w/ and injured paw, but his teeth were already rotting out. About a year ago, he began to have a cough that was very monir and has now become pretty terrible....very wet and doesn't seem to clear. Two weeks ago, he woke up one morning completely blind. He's been having growths develop all over his body....look similar to warts. One on the back of his head is baby pea sized. A couple of days ago, his left leg became swollen about twice the size of the right. Yet, he continues to eat, drink and wander around the house. Seems to have lost the ability to know from which direction a sound is coming, as well. I think it might be time to euthanize him, but, I think the car ride would kill him, anyway. He's had two episodes of open-mouthed breathing...he just tilted over onto his side and clutched at the sheets with his claws, gasping for air. He s
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I am very sorry to hear about Grable.
This situation is always a difficult one with our poorly pets.
It is never an easy decision to decide when it is time to consider letting them go.
Therefore, in these situations, it is best to look to Grable to know if it is time. We need to look at him and ask ourselves if he is enjoying the life he currently has. As well, we have to consider these episodes of respiratory distress and the effect they have on him. And while I am very sorry to say, it does sound like your lad is may be caught in a body that is letting him down and causing him to struggle. And in that case, especially as we don't want him in distress should his respiratory issues worsen, we'd need to consider letting him go.
Overall, this is never an easy decision when we are considering our fuzzy friends. Still, the key here is to look at Grable and his life. If he is managing with these old age changes, if those distress situations are very rare, and still enjoying these moments, then he may not be ready to leave you. Still if he cannot enjoy his life or if his ability to do so starts to wane, then those would be the signs that we need to let him go. And if we need to do so, you could request a home visit from your vet or see if there is a mobile one in your area. That way he doesn't have to face a car ride and can be helped at home.
Please take care,
Dr. B.